90g (3/4 cup) brown sugar
125g (3/4 cup) plain flour, sifted
185g (1 ½ cups) self-raising flour, sifted
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 tablespoons Golden Syrup
~ Extra 30g plain flour for kneading
Pre heat oven to 1800C (3500F)
• Cream the butter and the sugar until light in colour and
• Add the egg and beat well.
• Combine and sift the flours & bicarbonate of soda, then fold them into the mixture by hand or use a very slow speed on your electric mixer
• Finally adding the golden syrup and mix well
• Sprinkle the extra flour onto a flat surface and knead the mixture until soft but not sticky. Chill for 30 minutes.
• Divide the mixture into 2.
• Roll out each portion to 3mm (1/8in) thickness.
• Cut using a biscuit cutter or the floured round rim of a glass.
• Place baking paper onto a flat baking tray (or grease the tray) and place the biscuits on this about 4 cm apart.
• Position tray towards the top of the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes. If toward the bottom, they will burn at the base. They will crisp on cooling, so don’t over cook to make it crisp. Leave on the tray to cool and remove when firm.
1 egg white
250g (8oz) pure icing sugar
• Beat the egg white in a small bowl until bubbly (not until stiff)
• Add the icing sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition.
• Spread this over each biscuit