Makes 32 bite sized pieces
• 2 cups gluten free All Purpose baking flour
• 2 tsp sugar
• 2 tsp baking soda
• ½ tsp citric acid
• 1 cup calcium fortified rice milk
• 1 Tblsp rice bran oil (or suitable oil)
• 1 egg
• 2 Tblsp water
• 3-4 cups rice bran or suitable oil, for deep frying
• 6-8 bananas
• ½ cup castor sugar for rolling the cooked fritter in
• Sift the first 4 dry ingredients into a medium sized bowl
• In a separate bowl beat together the rice milk, oil, egg and water
• Add liquid ingredients to the flour and beat until blended. This batter should be thick
• Heat the cooking oil in a small saucepan or wok. The oil should be about 3cm (1 inch) deep. The oil is ready to use when it starts to shimmer
• Peel the bananas and slice them into 4 pieces and in batches place into the batter and roll them around until fully coated.
• Using tongs, gently place the battered banana into the shimmering oil, so that they do not touch. Do not overcrowd the oil. Cook roughly for 1 minute (until browned) and then turn the banana over for another minute on the other side
• Take the fritter from the oil and place on a paper towel to drain.
• Roll the drained bananas fritters in the extra sugar to fully coat the fritter
• Continue until all the bananas are cooked and coated in sugar.
• Eat straight away as they are, or with maple syrup or topping of choice