Makes approximately 5 cups
Needs premade Elim Vegetable Stock recipe
- 2 1/2 cups premade Elim stock
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 choko
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 leek
- 1/4 cup parsley
- iodised salt to taste
- rice bran cooking oil (or suitable oil)
- Dice the leek roughly and stir-fry for about 3 minutes in a fry pan until it becomes translucent and slightly browned. Stir occasionally.
- Place the premade stock into a large saucepan that has a lid and bring to the boil
- Peel the potatoes and choko and cut them into chunks
- Add the potatoes, choko, leek and salt to the warmed stock and bring to the boil
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes
- Add the washed and roughly chopped lettuce and parsley
- Continue simmering for about 10 minutes, or until the potato and choko are soft.
- Allow everything to cool slightly before processing. (Allow steam to vent when processing warm, or wait until the mixture is cold. You don’t want the processor to explode)
- Process the mixture in batches, in a food processor, until smooth
- Add salt to taste
- Don’t add all the liquid in the pot if you wish to have a thicker soup
- Serve with your choice of gluten free bread or crackers
Larger chunks of potato and choko take longer to cook, but they retain more nutrients.