- Approx 1 litre premade stock from allowed vegetables
- 2 Tbsp milk free margarine (Nuttalex)
- 2 Tbsp Canola, rice bran or sunflower oil
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic (squeezed in a press)
- ½ head of celery, finely chopped
- 300g Arborio rice
- 400g pre cooked and shredded chicken
- ½ choko chopped into about 1 cm cubes
- ½ Swede chopped into about 1 cm cubes
- Heat the stock.
- In a fry pan, on a low heat, melt 1 Tbsp Nuttalex and oil together
- Add the leek, garlic, celery, choko & Swede & fry for about 10-15 minutes but don’t brown
- When the vegetables have softened add the other 1 Tbsp oil & the rice and turn up the heat
- Keep stirring the rice as it will now start to fry and will look translucent after about 1 minute
- Add 1 cup of warm stock and a pinch of salt and keep stirring
- Once the stock has cooked into the rice (when you can no longer see it in the pan) it is time to add the rest of the stock slowly to the dish ladle by ladle.
- Add one ladle of stock and a pinch of salt
- Turn the heat down to a simmer heat so the rice does not cook too quickly on the outside
- Each ladle of stock must be absorbed into the rice before adding the next
- This will take 10-15 minutes to completely add the stock
- If you run out of stock before the rice is cooked (soft) add warm water instead
- Add the chicken to the dish with the last ladle of stock and mix well
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining Nuttalex and stir through
- Place a lid on the pan and allow it to sit for 2 minutes on a low heat
Stock: 4 litre capacity saucepan with a lid
Stir fry in 1 Tbsp of allowed oil…. 2 chopped celery sticks, 2 cloves garlic, 1 diced Swede, 1 sliced leek and ¼ tsp salt. When golden in colour add 10 cups water. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer for 1 hour. Strain for the stock. Either throw the vegetables or use them in another dish.
Tip: Pureed vegetables can be added to mince dishes to boost the nutrients.