- 800g white fish (Basa, Ling, Perch, Whiting, Hoki)
- 1 ½ cups rice flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp iodized salt
- 1 ½ cups cold soda water
- 3 cups canola, rice bran or vegetable oil for deep frying
- Hot chips either homemade and fried in the same oil or heated McCain’s chips in the oven
- Vegetables: stir fry of wombok, purple cabbage, shallot and green beans
- Preheat oil in a deep pan to approximately 3500 F on a thermometer. Oil must be at suggested heat before making the batter
- Prepare the fish: cut fish into chunks about 3cm x 2cm
- Microwave fish bits for 2 minutes to partially cook
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add the carbonated water and whisk until smooth.
- In batches; dip 4-5 pieces of fish into the batter and immediately drop it into the hot oil.
- The oil will bubble and rise up the sides of the pan
- Cook for approximately 2 minutes in the oil
- Use a slotted metal spoon to remove from the oil
- Drain tempura fish on a rack or on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining fish. Each time re-stir the batter before dipping in the fish
- When it is all cooked, serve right away with accompaniments
- Tempura is best served fresh and hot.