Makes 4 serves
- 3-3 ½ cups calcium fortified rice milk
- ½ cup of sago/tapioca pearls
- 1 cup white quinoa grain
- 2 cups water
- 1 vanilla bean pod, split lengthways
- Pear canned in syrup or fresh peeled pear
- Salt-free cashews, chopped coarsely
- Maple syrup to taste
- Place the sago/tapioca, ½ the vanilla bean pod and 2 cups of the rice milk in a bowl in the fridge and let the pearls soak in the rice milk for at least 2 hours (you can do this step before you go to bed and use this mixture in the morning to make the porridge)
When ready to make the porridge these next 2 steps can be done together in separate saucepans.
- Rinse the quinoa under water and transfer it to a saucepan.
- Add 2 cups of water and the other half of the vanilla bean pod
- Bring the water to the boil, turn down the heat, place the lid on the pot and simmer the quinoa for 15 minutes or until it is tender and most of the water is absorbed.
Once you have turned the quinoa down to simmer
- Place the sago/rice milk mixture in a saucepan on the stove and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring a few times
- Lower the heat and simmer the mixture for about 12 minutes, stirring constantly
- The pearls will become translucent, soft, thick and sticky
When both mixtures are ready
- Remove the vanilla bean pods from each pan
- Transfer the sago to the quinoa with 1 more cup of rice milk
- Stir together constantly over the heat until it thickens (approx 4-5 minutes)
- Add the extra ½ cup rice milk if you desire a more runny consistency
Serve out desired portion to a bowl
Top with pear, cashews and maple syrup
Store the left over in a covered container in the fridge and re-heat a portion the next day.