- 4 gluten free croissants*
- ~2 cups caramel sauce ** (keep 1/2 cup for the custard and 1/2 cup to drizzle before serving)
- 4 eggs
- 300ml thickened cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- Cut the croissants in half, lengthwise.
- Grease an oven-safe dish that is approximately 5 cm deep and fits the croissants you have, when cut in half and overlapped a little. (picture is 26cm x 26cm).
- Generously spread about 1 cup of the caramel sauce on the cut sides of the croissants.
- Arrange the croissants over the base of the dish, slightly overlapping, with croissant tops up.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, sugar and 1/2 cup of the caramel sauce.
- Pour over the croissants, cover and stand at room temperature for 1 hour, to allow the custard to soak in. (If it’s very hot put it in the fridge).
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Bake the custard pudding for 45-55 minutes. The centre should be just set.
- Serve warm.
- Drizzle extra caramel sauce over the top before serving.
- *Gluten free croissants can be found at Wholegreen Gluten free Bakery, Waverley, Sydney.
- *Choices Gluten Free, Hornsby, Sydney.
- *Gluten Free 4 U, Victoria and Queensland.
- You can substitute gluten free bread of your choice in you cannot find croissants.
- If you tolerate WHEAT….wheat croissants can be substituted.
- ** 2 suitable caramel products from Nestle are Top ‘n’ Fill and Squeezy Caramel Dulce de Leche.