This great idea for a BBQ-style sauce for low chemical eating was created by Domestic Diva Unleashed. I have adapted the recipe slightly to this version below.
Makes approximately 2 cups
- 825 g (1 large can) of pears in syrup
- 50g (2/3 cup) chopped leek
- 30g (1/3 cup) carob powder
- 100g (1/3 cup) rice malt syrup
- 1 ½ tsp citric acid
- 1 tsp iodised salt
- Place the pears and the syrup from the can in a vitamiser and blitz only for a few seconds to roughly puree pears.
- Transfer to a medium sized saucepan
- Stir pears constantly for 15 minutes over a medium heat to reduce the liquid in the mixture
- Add the remaining ingredients
- Reduce heat a little and simmer, stirring frequently, for a further 15 minutes o
- The more it reduces, the thicker the final sauce will be o
- You can experiment each time you make it to see what you prefer
- Cool mixture before pureeing it to a smooth consistency Store the sauce in an air tight container in the fridge. It can be frozen if you wish to make a larger quantity and set some aside for later use.
Store the sauce in an air tight container in the fridge. It can be frozen if you wish to make a larger quantity and set some aside for later use.